Welcome to the Chop Shop


My name is Adam Franklin and I'm addicted to my imagination. I'm also addicted to storytelling, all things creative and coffee. As I dive into new artistic avenues, I plan on recording the journey here. Welcome to The Chop Shop.




7.16.2010

Welcome to the world of DSLR Film

First post of the creative chop shop, and what better way to kick it off.

I finally pulled the trigger. After years of saving and months of research (and trying to wait for the Red Scarlett), I have decided to go Canon DSLR to begin this film making journey. I have some very specific goals with what I want to obtain from my camera package, and I think I have ironed out as much as I can, to this point.

All of my basic pieces arrive next week. Here's the lineup, and prices:


Canon EOS 7D Body (Retail 1700): Paid $1378
(bought New from pmidigital on ebay with 8% cash back from Bing)


Tokina 11-16 2.8 Wide Angle Lens (Retail 650?): Paid $596
(bought New from ancora2010 on ebay with 8% cash back from Bing)
This lens is beyond difficult to find. I found one on craigslist but everywhere else was pretty much sold out.




Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC Lens (Retail 1000?): Paid $563
(bought from B&H Photo with $70 Mail in Rebate and 2% cash back from Bing)


LCDVF Viewfinder (Retail 179): Paid $179
(bought from B&H Photo with 2% cash back from Bing)
I was ready to pull the trigger on the Zacuto Z-finder 2.5 and drop $375, but they weren't getting any in stock for 6-8 weeks, so I went with the next recommended brand. Besides, zacuto is coming out with something new in the fall, so I may upgrade soon on that part of the package anyway.


BG-E7 Battery Grip (Retail 300): Paid $180
(bought from B&H Photo with maybe 2% cash back from Bing)

Additional Accessories:
SanDisk Extreme 8GB CF Card (x2)
(Retail 140): Paid $110
(bought from B&H Photo with $30 Mail In Rebate and maybe 2% cash back from Bing)

Canon Rechargeable Battery
(Retail ?): Paid $79
(bought from B&H Photo with maybe 2% cash back from Bing)

DSLR Grand Total (To Date):
$3,006

Not too bad considering the full frame bad mambo Canon 5D Mark II (Which I almost went with) costs $2500 for the body... alone.

It's going to be a long weekend.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: Actually had an issue with focusing on the Tamron lens, so I returned it and bought at Canon 17-55mm 2.8. A bit more money, but very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete